Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What Works Best?

I have known a few friends that attended Montessori schools as children, but not until recently did I realize what it focused on. The more I learn about it, the more it intrigues me. I have always believes that playing off a childs interests are the best way for them to learn. What I like the most about the schools are that they use all five sensed that we have. I think this aspect makes for a well rounded education -- just like a liberal arts college would for students our age. I also like that the school focuses on practical skills, like buttoning clothes or tying shoes. These types of things are surpasssed in other schools. They shouldn't be. These are everyday things that children should be taught and should learn. Not only should they learn these simple tasks, but these become the basis for other things that the students will learn as they grow older. A lot of this has to do with social developlment as well. Since the schools contain children of mixed ages there is a lot of opportunity for the children to interact with each other and learn from each other. I feel as though social development should always be more empahasized than it is, and a Montessori school gives students this opportunity.

2 comments:

  1. I really like that you brought up the importance of social development. I feel like it is something that a regular classroom really doesn't allow for. Allowing children to work on their social development is very important, and I feel like sometimes teachers just expect to work on that on the weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Social development is one of the most important opportunities that schools should have more of. In schools today, many students don't have the opportunity to play/socialize with other students during the school day besides their classmates. If students aren't taught how to socialize in school, when and how will they learn?

    ReplyDelete